Before you buy or sell a home, it’s a good idea to get a LIM. For home buyers, it will give you information about what you're buying - for peace of mind. It also helps streamline the selling process for vendors, with one less condition on the sale.
Watch our video on what a LIM is, why you need one, and what information is included:
A LIM includes:
- Current certificate of title
- Deposited plan
- Building permit and building consent plans
- Plumbing and drainage plans
- any Code Compliance Certificates that Council holds
- Resource consents
- District Plan information (activity areas/zones, protected trees, historic sites, designations and significant archaeological, natural or cultural resources)
- Hazard information (reported flooding, slipping, erosion and past contamination)
- Rates information
- Weathertight homes information (leaky buildings)
- Earthquake-prone status of buildings.
- Tsunami zones
- Rubbish collection day
- Private swimming pool information
- Notices issued to the property (noise, unconsented work etc.)
- Methamphetamine (meth) contamination.
Council can only provide information that it holds on record. If there has been unconsented building work, flooding, slippage, meth contamination or other issues at the property which we’re not aware of – it might not show on the LIM.
Find out more about what a LIM contains (PDF 141KB).
How much does it cost?
View the LIM, property and building information fees list (PDF 166KB).
You can pay for your LIM:
- By secure online payment on our website (includes credit card and bank account payment)
- In person at Council's main building 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt
How long does a LIM take to arrive?
LIMs are completed within 10 working days after the day you apply. If you apply after close of business, your application will be processed the following working day. Working days do not include:
- Public holidays
- The three weeks between 25 December and 15 January.
All LIMs will be completed and emailed to you as soon as possible.
For residential properties, you can request a fast-track service for an additional fee. This speeds up the turnaround to five working days.
Conditions apply for fast track applications. They are accepted on a case-by-case basis, and are subject to seasonal demand. Occasionally we may need to withdraw the fast-track service if we receive a lot of applications.
If you’ve applied for a standard LIM within the last two working days and would like to fast-track it, please call us on 04 570 6666 or email [email protected]
Ready to apply?
Receiving your LIM
Your LIM will be sent to the supplied email address as a link to a PDF file. Hard copies can be printed and posted to you or collected from Councils main building at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt. Additional fees apply for hard copies – please contact us for more information.
Cancelling your LIM
If you’d like to cancel the processing of your LIM, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing [email protected]. You'll receive a partial refund based on the number of working days since the application was made. The refund amounts below apply to all residential, commercial and fast track LIMs.
|Within 24 hours
|1-3 working days (inclusive)
|4-5 working days (inclusive)
|After 5 working days
||$70.00 (not applicable to fast track LIMs)
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Check out our frequently asked questions for answers to some of the enquiries we receive.